National Service Scheme
National Service Scheme (NSS) is a permanent youth programme under the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India and funded by Government of Tamil Nadu and Government of India in the ratio of 5:7.
Objective of NSS
- Understand the community in which they work.
- Understand themselves in relation to their community.
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving.
- Develop among them a sense of social and civic responsibility.
- Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solutions to individual and community problems.
- Develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities.
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation.
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes.
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disaster.
- Practice national integration and social harmony.
The motto of NSS is “NOT ME BUT YOU”. It underlines that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of the society as a whole. This expresses the essence of democratic living and upholds the need of selfness service and appreciation of the other man’s point of view and also consideration for fellow human beings.
NSS Unit & Programme Officer
- The NSS for two unites [UNIT I-144 and UNIT II-227]. One NSS Unit consists of 100 student volunteer guided by one Programme Officer who will be a faculty member.
- The Programme Officer is expected to motivate the student youth to understand the values and philosophy of NSS.
- The overall functions of Programme Officer are to help the students to plan, implement and evaluate the activities of NSS under his/her charge and give proper guidance and directions to the student volunteers.
NSS Student Volunteers
- Any student enrolled as a NSS volunteer, as per NSS Manual should put in at least 240 hours of useful social work in a continuous period of two years (i.e. 120 hours per year).
- A work diary is to be maintained by each NSS volunteer, which will help him/her in the assessment in his/her performance.
- Such volunteer is eligible to get NSS Service Certificate from the colleges.
- The Service Certificate given in the NSS Manual should be strictly adhered.